Sunday 20 May 2018

Kindle Paperwhite - kind of irritating and I don't think a more expensive Kindle is the answer.


Kindle Paperwhite - kind of irritating and I don't think a more expensive Kindle is the answer.

I got the paperwhite for holiday reading, and for reading uninterrupted by internet use. It has amazing battery life and a great screen for reading but there are a couple things that drive me nuts. If someone can tell me a setting where fonts stay consistent over different books, I would really like that. It drives me nuts to need to constantly adjust the font size. Also the screen sensitivity is not great for page turning and I like to read white font on black background.

It is lighter than books and does fulfill the object of longer battery life and reading in sunlight. Overall, though, I'd rather read on my S8 if my tablet isn't available.

7 comments:

  1. There's some useful commentary on the hardware UI problems of the Kindle devices below. I'm sticking to Kindle app on Android devices, even though this sucks battery life and the DPI+contrast ratio aren't as favorable for reading.

    Chromebook with Kindle App is actually a gorgeous interface for magazines and graphic novels.

    medium.com - Reconsidering the Hardware Kindle Interface – Craig Mod – Medium

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel ya on the need to continually readjust font sizes. If I could get something like this and then tweak it so that everything rendered in my personal favourite typeface, justified and kerned for ultimate readability (for my eyes and habits, no one else's), I'd be an instant customer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The font thing seems like it should be easy, I don't constantly adjust on my tablet or phone. Phil Stevens And yeah, Miriam Rozian I do like it on my tablet, just as I fall asleep my tablet is hurts when it hits me lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cass Morrison I think I've got a permanent dent in the bridge of my nose from the Nexus 6p snooze-drop, let alone a full-size tablet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find the jankiness interferes with my enjoyment so it's not my first pick. But I'd do like that it's a dedicated reader.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When my Paperwhite when tits up, I went back to my old Gen3 Kindle (the last one with a keyboard). The Paperwhite just wasn't compelling enough to get me to buy a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clyde Wisham we got my MIL one with a keyboard and side buttons. Sleek and easy to use, I should have just asked her for hers and she's not using it.

    ReplyDelete