Saturday 20 June 2015

Couple of things about this article.

Couple of things about this article.

I think it overlooks YouTube, Vimeo, Netflix and other new media venues as sources of audiences. Yes, it's hard because the US is so steeped in individualism and the arts are a collective effort but there is Patreon and other fund raising streams available. 

Also - what about the men?

...In just about every TV series in which there’s a young son and a young daughter—Mad Men, Homeland, The Americans, Ray Donovan—the girl’s story line is stronger and deeper than the boy’s, and it’s not hard to figure out why. The girl’s a better actor...

Really? Or is it a no harm no foul situation where you can take more chances with female characters and failure because critics and most people will be happy to excuse women's success as unusual. I know many guys who are emotional, involved with their kids and invested in the same things I am but I rarely see that character development in popular movies. Actors stretch to fill the roles that are written for them. DiCaprio seems to have those roles sewn up.

Like so many things, it seems that problems are being identified but role models aren't plentiful enough.  
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/07/the-decline-of-the-american-actor/395291/?utm_source=SFG%2B

9 comments:

  1. As much as people hate Kirsten Stewart she has worked on her range. I agree with your about these actors being "natural" but isn't that the fault of writers and directors? Actor are just one part of the system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not really because the ones you see are so good why wouldn't they be there? I can see mediocre Canadian's getting in just due to proximity...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes. I especially remember Damien Lewis. One wonders where the skilled, experienced actor came from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do have to admit that I kept thinking "that's crazy what about __" and then thinking of an actor who is actually british playing American... or over forty (they all look so young). But I think you make some really important points. And as for roles - did you know that Ryan Reynolds is a great actor? I wouldn't have guessed until I saw the Woman in Gold. And I have seen some amazing work out of Vincent Kartheiser (phew - both American and under forty, got one)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good point. But Vancouver born... I consider him a part of my great nation of Cascadia ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me too LOL. And hoping to return within the next 5 years.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our little
    country would welcome your return with fanfare!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And just after reading this, I found myself watching an episode of late-season Angel, which features two American actors so effectively playing British so well I keep forgetting their Americans (Alexis Denisof and James Marsters). Come to think of it, two other actors affiliated with the Whedon stable - Enver Gjokaj and Alan Tudyk - do a thoroughly convincing Brit. Random reflection off the topic of this article.

    ReplyDelete