Tuesday 15 December 2015

L.A. Times wonders if Serena Williams deserves Sportsperson of the Year more than a horse

L.A. Times wonders if Serena Williams deserves Sportsperson of the Year more than a horse

I just have to ask, is there any other time it's been asked if an animal is more worthy to be a_person_? Were the protesters confused by similar lustrous hair colour? Perhaps growing up as Canadian I am used to defining what I'm not in terms of USians. So I have no problem defining what are not people. Animals - not people but they are autonomous mammals; I'm sure they think, just not like people.

I really hope the SI Internet audiences don't think accomplished black women are not people but it is the internet where people who say horrible things don't get the push back (immediate violence or long term shunning) that would deter them. After all, her equivalent would be the jockey - you know the person controlling the horse .
http://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/serena-williams-vs-american-pharoah-the-horse-sportsperson-of-the-year-1.3364829?cmp=rss

10 comments:

  1. And it's the LA Times editors that should know better than to even give credence to the idea that a horse is a person. SI editors know the difference even if their internet audience did not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks like man like most black women. I say go with the horse. At least a horse can contribute to society.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hitek9wittafulclip get out of the closet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, so many mean comments.  Annett, that sounds racist...the scientist say we all came from apes.....liz, I get your statement, but gee the horse is an athlete,  and has done what no other horse has done since 1978, Williams (I do love watching her play!)  has won many grandslams...williams does look like a woman, jenner does not....it's all good though, because they both have brought so much to so many different people....hope I didn't sound overbearing, peace to all

    ReplyDelete
  5. Camille Proper​ can you tell the difference between a horse and a person? To be clear, had the JOCKEY been the preferred recipient I would have no problem with the argument. Especially if the jockey rode a variety of horses to the winner's circle over several years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cass Morrison Yes, I had thought of the jockey, I am a bit surprised he wasn't nominated. No need to sound rude, I can tell an animal from a human. (The Jockey was Victor Espinoza and has won best jockey award in '02 and '14)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Annett....I said scientists said not white Americans said

    ReplyDelete
  8. Camille Proper​ when you insist on think a horse is equally qualified as a black woman to be Sportsperson of the Year I could only wonder. One can say quite rude things like a black woman is the same as a horse- in quite a pleasant manner. My manner may be abrupt but I am not the one mistaking a horse as a person.

    ReplyDelete