Monday 2 January 2017

Some car technology is frivolous or pure luxury; other added-extras are a matter of personal taste. If you want leather seats, or a 1,300W audio system, or autonomous parking, you probably should pay extra for it. Even some safety technology, like adaptive cruise control or active lane-keeping assistance, falls into the convenience category more than a must-have essential. I think, … Continue reading

Some car technology is frivolous or pure luxury; other added-extras are a matter of personal taste. If you want leather seats, or a 1,300W audio system, or autonomous parking, you probably should pay extra for it. Even some safety technology, like adaptive cruise control or active lane-keeping assistance, falls into the convenience category more than a must-have essential. I think, … Continue reading
https://www.slashgear.com/its-time-this-car-safety-tech-was-standard-02469625/

8 comments:

  1. For most people, I'd imagine the BSD tech would be useful. On the OTHER hand, it would be far easier and even work with existing vehicles, if people were just taught the proper way to set their mirrors!!! That old bit about seeing the side of your vehicle that most people adhere to is the reason for the blind spots. It's also the reason people get blinded at night by headlights behind them. With your mirrors properly set, there is NO blind spot in any vehicle I have driven ... from my personal vehicles to an assortment of rentals over the years. Just set your mirrors properly!
    youtube.com - Motoring TV Kenzie's Korner

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be happy when Self Driving is mandatory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd rather a system that detects your head position and body size and automatically adjusts the mirrors. I guess the trend is to use technology to compensate for people who don't know how to align their mirrors properly or shoulder check than to actually train people to properly align their mirrors and to shoulder check.

    How about technology that prevents drivers from using their phones to text while driving? That should be mandatory on all vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't be surprised if four out of five drivers have their wing (side) mirrors aimed wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phil Stevens I was never taught how to align my side mirrors. Someone who took a high performance driving course told me how to align it correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I honestly have yet to meet another person who has their mirrors properly set. I'd say we're closer to 99,999 out of 100,000 that have their mirrors set incorrectly.

    Still, more tech isn't always the answer. Sometimes it's the very basics that are all you need. It just needs to be taught -- and it isn't. I'll guarantee you that Young Drivers of Canada doesn't teach this basic skill to new drivers. And I can almost certainly guarantee it's because their instructors have never heard of the proper technique themselves. And it's been televised, in Canada, since at least 1995. (Not sure if Kenzie had it earlier than Motoring '95, because that's the earliest version I've seen.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i put my mirror in front of my face and when im driving it also protects me from ugly people

    ReplyDelete