Sunday 30 July 2017

Alien's world is destroyed; they want a new one.

Alien's world is destroyed; they want a new one.

We rarely agree enthusiastically about a movie but we did about Valerian. This is a story of how those aliens get their home world back. Along the way there's a love story and some action bits that showcase different cultures. We also liked John Carter of Mars LOL.

So, those aliens. They had a source of unlimited energy and used it to live in balance with their home world. There was no expansion or invasion. After their world was destroyed they didn't turn into a warmongering race driven by revenge. Even though a much loved offspring of leaders was killed in the attack their weapons didn't kill. Their focus was on gathering knowledge and resources (where Valerian comes into the picture) to find a blank world to live on in peace.

Fred would have liked to see Bradley Cooper and Charlize Theron cast. He's much more into actors than I am.
https://www.youtube.com/attribution_link?a=2tdwY2yrb5M&u=/watch?v%3DBszXhUjJz00%26feature%3Dshare

6 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you liked it. I've been considering taking the kids to see it, but haven't yet in part because I thought it might be better to just rent it on Google Play when it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We saw atomic blonde yesterday and wished we waited. If you liked John Carter you'll like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you ever read the originals? I'm one of those irritating people who get annoyed when movies won't hew to the spirit of the original. John Fowles wrote an essay about the making of The French Lieutenant's Women , where he describes how this process works, how a single look or gesture can replace a yard of prose, they really are separate works, movies and novels. But so often, I've come out of theatres (LOTR especially) feeling as if the director just trashed the books - and I'm hesitant to go see this one. Because for me, it will always be Valérian et Laureline V&L . Also, I had a kite named XB27, heh

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed Valerian, though I felt that, even with the scope and grandeur of Alpha, we barely scratched the surface of a fascinating setting.

    Atomic Blonde is classic cold-war spy craft, and the action is much more constrained. If you liked Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy with Gary Oldman, you will probably enjoy this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dan Weese I didn't read the original so I don't know how true it stays to the story. I do know I enjoyed it even more the second time and this is likely to become a classic for me. I don't know how people can say there wasn't a story unless it's not a story they recognize because it's not revenge and the humans aren't the heroes.

    Bob Lai I fell into the female James Bond trap when it was straight up LeCarre which I like reading but would not watch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have all the original Valerian, and I was a big fan of their stories, the settings, the universe. I do know that the story will not follow the original, but sometimes that's actually for the better. Cannot wait to see it on the big screen in a few days! :)

    ReplyDelete