Saturday 28 October 2017

Haven't people always had a filter bubble?

Haven't people always had a filter bubble?

I don't hang out with everyone I meet. To me this could be handled with critical thinking education and advertising rules. Statements about account origin may be helpful but in the end people need to accept that the voting system in the US is not democratic. Parties get to draw voting districts, voting stations are not easily accessible and the voters don't seems as important as corporate sponsorship certainly at the leadership level. And voter access seems very limited.

But maybe that's the new politician. I've emailed my MP and gotten no response where my previous MP always got back to me. Maybe this one only pays attention to Facebook or can't actually formulate a response to a retest for information from someone not blatantly supportive of whatever policy their party stands for. Certain meshes with the lack of personal contact during the election process.
http://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4367168

3 comments:

  1. Democratic discourse is hidden in plain sight. The echo chamber is easily pierced. Anyone can open the bonnet on the democratic machine. It's a question of knowing where to find the lever to open it, which I can assure anyone is not on Facebook.

    My brand of politics was shaped by US Senator from Illinois, Paul Simon, a man who I didn't agree with, a good deal of the time. But I heard him speak, early in his political career and I learned the mechanics of interacting with such a person.

    en.wikipedia.org - Paul Simon (politician) - Wikipedia

    From Paul Simon, I learned the importance of letter writing. Email is nigh-on worthless. Physical letters work.

    You're a professional, what do you want to see in an assignment? I know what I want to see: an objective, then a brief rationale for that objective, then a proposed tactic, if possible, then a brief statement of thanks. Keep it short, respectful and to the point.

    Know what's on the political agenda. I'd go to the library and read the Congressional Report. Now... I understand you're in Canada, things are somewhat different, there's LegisInfo:

    https://www.parl.ca/LegisInfo/Home.aspx?Language=E&ParliamentSession=42-1

    Letters to politicians ought to address upcoming votes. That's how politicians think and it addresses the powers they actually control. And when they do vote against your wishes, ask for a rationale.

    Politicians get zillions of communications about hypotheticals and wish lists. Not from me they don't. I don't care who's in office, what party they're from: they're my representative.

    I remember writing Paul Simon ( our correspondence was extensive! ) asking why he voted against the Clean Air Act at one point along the line. He wrote back, saying Texas had demanded some exemption on that version of the bill, so he voted against it.

    Politics is just the machinery of governance. It's been my experience politicians crave feedback from their constituencies. They're belaboured by lobbyists with shiny shoes, not the people who elected them. It's been many decades, I still write my elected officials, treating them as respectfully as anyone else I am asking to do their jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, just be glad we don't have the social political/justice system featured on The Orville this week. That's headless democracy with mob rule. (Never thought I'd say a Seth McFarland show would make relevant political commentary ... but there it is.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have to start watching Orville.

    ReplyDelete