Wednesday 20 December 2017

I charge my powered on phone at night...science! battery technology! It is in DND mode though.

I charge my powered on phone at night...science! battery technology! It is in DND mode though.

Some wierd beliefs come out on forums (fora?). Like not charging to 100%. That was a temp fix until recall for the Note 7. Spectrometry works best between 25 and 80% because of linear response. I suppose that could apply to batteries but does it matter? The number of charging cycles is way more than a typical user would do. The only charging "rule" that I used to follow was if the battery goes to zero, you have to wall charge it intially. I don't even know if that's true anymore. With wireless charging there's not reason to go to zero.

Powering off? I try to remember to power off (as opposed to restart) monthly? Definitely not every night but I do position devices so I can't see the charging LED.

What habits do you have with your mobile device?
https://www.androidcentral.com/do-you-turn-your-phone-night

7 comments:

  1. I'm random about my charging habits. I just charge whenever, reboot whenever, and rarely power it off. The Axon 7 battery is middle-of-the-road, nothing overly special. If I play Star Trek Timelines or Asphalt 8, I only get maybe 2 or 3 hours of total play time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. same as michael... random recharge whenever i'm near a socket/power ... but most always it's at night
    with my G6 I would often not charge at night and give it a quick charge when i woke up... but with the Pixel, because I'm not using the PD charger at my night stand it wouldn't be fast to get a complete charge in just the morning, so i charge over night

    ReplyDelete
  3. I charge every night. Put it on DND until my alarm goes off. I can't turn it off as I use my phone's alarm to wake me up. When at work, I put my personal phone in airplane mode and turn on my work phone. At the end of my work day, I turn off my work phone and turn off airplane mode on my personal phone. On weeks where I am on call, I forward my work phone to my personal phone, so I don't have to carry 2 phones after work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gareth Owen that's strange. I had my S6 for two years and charged whenever. Battery never did that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tim Hunt I have a Moto Z2 Play. It comes with a small battery mod, so it lasts all day without having to charge it. I could possibly push it for 2 days, but I charge every day in case I have a heavy use day. I want to start off each day with a full battery to ensure I won't have to charge it part way through the day.

    After all of my previous phones need charging part way through the day, it is awesome to not have to do it with my current phone. This is pretty much the number 1 feature I will look for in any future phone. The last phone where I did not have to charge it part way through the day was a Nokia flip phone in the pre-smartphone era.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I try not to let my OnePlus 5's battery go below 20% and prefer to slow-charge it via a dock plugged into my computer's USB, purely in the interests of long-term battery health. Although I do use the fast charger from time to time.

    ReplyDelete