Tuesday 10 April 2018

Be a conscientious consumer. We eat vegan but are not grouchy ex-meat eaters.

Be a conscientious consumer. We eat vegan but are not grouchy ex-meat eaters.

Fred eats vegan all the time, except when we are in the Cook Islands. There he eats what's available in restaurants and cooks fish. Our kitchen is switched, I can pretty well bake and we enjoy what we prepare and eat. It really has been a great experience for getting Fred to be more engaged at home, which will come in handy as we move into retirement.

As a result of being happy with what we're doing for health and environmental reasons, we're not like the ex-smokers that make people miserable with their choices. I can't see meat eating being regulated like smoking or drunk driving but you never know. Culture has changed a lot around those activities.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4611851

3 comments:

  1. I've tried to make a different, milder change in my diet, for some other reason, and it was hard and only partially succeeded. Removing meat would be at least a hundred times harder for me. I tried vegetarian pizza and that is probably as close as I can get. I went to a wedding banquet that served only vegetarian food. Afterwards I went straight to Wendy's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been a "five-day-a-week-vegan" for about a month now, both to be a more conscientious consumer and for health reasons.

    It's a little challenging to find road food, but having an Instant Pot has made accessible all of the tasty Indian, Ethiopian, etc. vegan meals that otherwise require multi-hour prep and cooking.

    I can also confess that when I do eat dairy, eggs or meat, it's a far more conscious undertaking which I enjoy and respect to a greater degree for the rarity. In the Epicurean sense, I would be happier if this consumption didn't involve animal suffering and environmental degradation, but at least I'm doing it less.

    This is not a moral stance I'm going to beat anyone with, for certain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely the Instapot has helped because there isn't as much planning ahead and ethnic food is the best.

    There's a lot of unsatisfying vegetarian food out there. Vegetables don't really fill me up so our vegan meals have to be dense.

    ReplyDelete