Friday 3 August 2018

Doctors can be real jerks to people who aren't not skinny looking - regardless of patient's health.

Doctors can be real jerks to people who aren't not skinny looking - regardless of patient's health.

When I was having trouble conceiving I had low hormone levels so my Doctor sent me to an endocrinologist. He said my hormone levels were low to normal and if I lost 20 pounds I would probably concieve. I weighed 140-ish. At 5'4" (164 cm) that didn't even hit the overweight standard at the time. And I was healthy, jogging and keeping active. Asshole.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/fat-shaming-obit-1.4772033

2 comments:

  1. Weight, and it's +/- has always been a debatable topic in western cultures. We have pundits on both sides weighing in (pardon the obvious pun). A comically over-PC subculture doesn't help. The really obese want to be left to be, the grotesquely thin does the same. Not to mention the various BMI apps out there that don't really account for measures specific to any one individual. In the end, I feel, one should be true to one's self. Happiness is the key to almost everything. If you feel happy, and haven't any major immediate health issues, then fuck what society may wish you to be! Be happy in one owns skin is something most struggle with for a lifetime. Alas, if you sense something is not right, and you've learned to listen to what your internal biology may be suggestion, take action, be your own advocate! I feel for anyone who dies due to ignorance or marginalization. But I feel one needs not wait for a systemic change. Be your own champion, as you only get one chance at life in this existence, remember that entropy plays no favors, live life it to its ripe conclusion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being overweight is usually the result of unhealthy habits, but being obsessed with precise physical standards of slimness is also unhealthy. The latter is brought to us by commercially driven media. The answer to both is the same thing— health in outlook and eating practices.

    ReplyDelete