Thursday 30 August 2018

Electric heater has run ~10 hours in 2 years. Wow. Makes our efforts seem feeble.

Electric heater has run ~10 hours in 2 years. Wow. Makes our efforts seem feeble.

OTOH we didn't build a super energy efficient home. Hopefully storm doors will help us along with switching away from a gas fireplace in the basement. We're still thinking of solar. A few homes in our neighbourhood have panels and our roof faces the right way.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-home-certified-as-alberta-s-1st-passive-house-1.4803890

4 comments:

  1. The last time I looked at installing solar on our roof, the cost/benefit ratio of the install was really poor. This was a few years ago now ... but I live in the sunniest city in Canada, and our roof is ideal for solar. But the payback on over $20,000 at an average $20 bucks per month (maybe 40 if gas prices rise) is 1000 months. I have a hard time justifying that expense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I probably run my heater about 10 hours a year, but southern California. Wow :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael Ireland We don't really look cost payback because we would pay with stock earnings. In effect we saved in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cass Morrison oh for sure, I would just sell some of my shares in the company I work for (which has been peaking lately, actually), but that doesn't change the fact that for the "investment" into a cost-savings to actually save me any money, you gotta look at the payback time. So it only starts to save my pocket after it's been running full-bore (and maintenance free) for 1000 months is pretty sad. It's more cost effective for me to put that $20k into LED lights, more efficient A/C and appliances, and an electric car. The cost outlay is covered by the savings in far less than 1000 months. I would love to cover my entire roof with solar (or the fancy solar shingles Elon Musk is peddling), but instead I'm just frustrated.

    ReplyDelete