Friday 17 August 2018

I don't want to renounce my US citizenship, but the tax situation... It was always punitively complicated and it's gotten worse than I imagined. I literally don't know what to do. I've always paid taxes in the country I lived and worked in, but according to draconian US law, that's not enough.

I don't want to renounce my US citizenship, but the tax situation... It was always punitively complicated and it's gotten worse than I imagined. I literally don't know what to do. I've always paid taxes in the country I lived and worked in, but according to draconian US law, that's not enough.

“Renouncing U.S. Citizenship Is Extremely Tricky Business” @thecurioushuman https://medium.com/s/greatescape/renouncing-u-s-citizenship-is-extremely-tricky-business-4dbe16cbf20a
https://medium.com/s/greatescape/renouncing-u-s-citizenship-is-extremely-tricky-business-4dbe16cbf20a

16 comments:

  1. And I am in the process of considering a move to Ecuador. I love that area of the Andes around Quito, there is also a large ex-patriot American community.

    moneywise.com - 10 Countries Where You Can Retire for $200K

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a screwed up country..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul Ferguson If you want to renounce your US citizenship you better have at least $300K put aside because any retirement funds are converted to income taxable at 40%

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cass Morrison I know, I've done a bit of research on that over the course of the past couple of years. I've put money into non-retirement liquid sources, but also if I need to convert retirement (IRA, 401k), I can take the tax penalty locally beforehand, which is cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is why I'm not even considering citizenship here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's only complicated if one is trying to leave with vast quantities of monies in US institutions...otherwise it's blatantly simplistic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I suggest liquefied assets and or tangibles that can be converted into cash.

    ReplyDelete
  8. America is bucolic, it government is the 7th circle of Dantes inferno.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paul Ferguson I hear it is a good place to go
    Portugal also being recommended. Never thought that conversations with friends would go to "desirable places to live outside US". Of course I drew a high draft lottery number so that makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I could migrate to any country I wished, my short lit would be 1. New Zealand 2. Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If I could migrate to any country..
    I wouldn't..
    I'm happy here in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  12. me too, in spite of the cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cass Morrison I'd take a good blizzard in exchange for this smothering blanket of smoke.

    ReplyDelete