Thursday 27 September 2018

Does your emergency response plan address hearing (an other physically) impaired people who may be at risk? everyone should be included.

Does your emergency response plan address hearing (an other physically) impaired people who may be at risk? everyone should be included.

At my previous workplace, there were a lot of areas where there was noise so visual alerts were implemented but that is much more difficult for province or nation-wide alerts. I notice that the last Amber alert included vibration and screen on...which brings up the issue of visually impaired people. Perhaps the notice could be read out loud by default with a silent dismissal acknowledgement for the those with visual acuity.


https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/deaf-canadians-at-risk-in-times-of-national-emergency-1.4832321

1 comment:

  1. Interestingly it wasn't until I made some offhand remark about it that I got a flashing fire alarm installed in my office. People really don't think about this, though I confess I hadn't thought to ask for one because I've never really had such a thing either (I'd made some comment about evacuating if I saw the students in the open office in my line of vision bailing.)

    ReplyDelete