Sunday 23 September 2018

Toyota is finally adding Android Auto support to its dashboards, with sources claiming a deal has been struck between Google and the Japanese automaker. The car company has been one of the more resistant firms to the idea of allowing smartphone-makers to…

Toyota is finally adding Android Auto support to its dashboards, with sources claiming a deal has been struck between Google and the Japanese automaker. The car company has been one of the more resistant firms to the idea of allowing smartphone-makers to…
http://www.slashgear.com/toyota-android-auto-support-is-reportedly-a-done-deal-23546987/

6 comments:

  1. You couldn't just swap out the head unit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's integrated into the security system I think. I know I couldn't make any changes on my VW without affecting the security system.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, that's a shame. Took about an hour at Best buy with my Altima.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my Android Auto. It was a pain to install (they wanted $800 to install an $800 head unit), but it was worth it. Except for the time it yelled at me for mumbling ... I'm still nervous about getting it to send an SMS for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Toyota's holdout was in part due to an Apple exclusive, although I could be remembering that incorrectly.

    The one thing I HATE these days are the fully integrated head units. Even in our 7 year old Journey ... all of the HVAC is integrated in the stereo. You can NOT change them out. That's why my 21 year old truck has integrated bluetooth, while the 'newer' vehicle has a $20 add-on stuck to the dash and plugged into the AUX line. (Little Aukey number, works GREAT.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris Pollard that was the case with my RX-8. Loved the car, hated the radio but the conversion unit alone was $600. Thankfully on the Mazdaspeed 3 the head unit doesn't do much else (that I can't live without)

    ReplyDelete