Sunday 30 September 2018

We both made "hey, let's try making" foods this weekend from our vegan Asian stocked kitchen. Perogies and risotto.

We both made "hey, let's try making" foods this weekend from our vegan Asian stocked kitchen. Perogies and risotto.

Yesterday Fred made Perogies stuffed with potato masala. Perogy dough is easy to make vegan. He just substituted the egg with ground flax and a little extra water. He could have also used some oil. I find this style of using potato masala hide the flavour of the masala too much but that may just be due to how much chutney I use😉.

Risotto substitution was only the rice. We have Jasmine and Basmati and I chose the shorter grained of the two. Key with Risotto is patience. Toasting rice can't be rushed and I used the same cook time (~45 minutes) I use for rice pudding. Success! I think I'll make this more often. And roasted veg cannot be overrated. Just don't drown them in oil.

The key to all this stuff is time - well and learning some cooking techniques which is also time.

h/t Cindy Brown




3 comments:

  1. Wow, you two are doing retirement right! Looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My microwaved lentil burritos today (really) tasted good, but I’m no Fred and Cass in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete