Monday 31 December 2018

Want new tech - want!

I have been fighting the urge to get a new Windows tablet. I prepared for retirement upgrading most of my tech in 2017 then getting a keyboard for my tablet. It doesn't feel like enough.
Why a Windows tablet? I have MS Office Pro on my computer and there are somethings I just can't do with mobile office (sections, watermarks etc). The good thing is I definitely have to set aside work time (billable hours) if I'm booting up my computer. OTOH I have to turn on my computer to watch TV. But if I get a windows tablet (Surface Pro or Samsung) I don't think they have an HDMI connection for a larger screen. I do have a DEX for my S8 if I decided to do a monitor but again, Office Pro.

But maybe I would like to update my Kindle since there's a new one that's faster and waterproof. I like that when I'm reading on my Kindle that's all I can do and when traveling I tend to take my phone and Kindle. I'm slowly getting used to it not having hardware buttons and being a bit janky. Hopefully the new one would be better. I do like that it's waterproof and the screen is flush. Lighter is nice too.

I didn't resist updating my smart watch. I didn't like the Gear Sport (squircle sigh) as much as my S2 Classic and the Galaxy Watch is the same size and style. I sold my Sport and have my S2 as a backup.

To feed my desire for new shiny I'm doing some maintenance on my S8 - getting rid of stuff I really don't use and personalizing it using the Good Lock 2018 app from the Galaxy Store. I've updated my lock screen with the apps I want to open and chosen a I clock style like. I like the carousel option for the task changer. I didn't do any routines but that's a nice option for people who change their phone use throughout the day. I did change the quick panel area using quickstar but with android being stuck on the light coloured notification area it was meh. I suppose if I really wanted the new phone experience I could do a factory reset - yuck.

I'm still thinking out that Kindle. If I could sell my existing on Letgo for a decent price (is $50 too much to ask when new one is $140?) I'd do it for sure. Speaking of Letgo, I have a fireplace to list.

No comments:

Post a Comment