Friday 19 April 2019

New Tech setup and Surface Go update


Monitoring electrical use has made me very aware of what is turn on and how much energy it uses. things we have done to reduce energy range from free to minimal to expensive. Free included turning off a ceiling fan and an amp we had on all the time. Low cost included changing out incandescent lights for LED when the carbon levy subsidized them and installing motion detection switches for rooms where we tend to forget to turn off lights. Expensive includes using smart plugs and changing out my tech set up in the den.

I was using a Samsung touch screen all in one with  an HDMI switch so I could watch TV. Even though the computer had a TV tuner, we have to use a cable box. and I have a DEX stand (which I may not need anymore?). For mobile tech I was using a Samsung Tab S3 with keyboard and my S8. I found it really annoying that I had to turn on my computer in order to watch TV. I also had very little desk space because the computer took up most of it. A tax refund gave me some money to play with so play I did!

I got a 27" BenQ monitor for watching TV. I made sure it was wall mountable so I could reclaim some desk space. Unexpected expense - speakers. They are on my desk right now but I could put them on a floating shelf. I replaced my computer and tablet with a Microsoft Go and a USB-C dock powered with a USB-PD power supply. It was astoundingly less expensive to purchase the sleek and minimalist Aukey dock through Amazon.com than get the Microsoft one. With a BT keyboard and mouse, it's no different than using my desktop

I talked before about my Surface Go purchase. While I haven't been back from holidays for that long I spend way too much time on computers so I think I have a pretty good handle on how this will work out. I continue to be thrilled with boot up time. When using the dock, the Go screen is off rather than extended. I did get the higher optioned Go so there is lots of internal hard drive space for programs and apps. I have a My Passport Ultra for storing media and of course there's cloud storage for files. Battery life is ok. I'm charging during the day so I don't have to plug in at night and charge off the grid. I got the Pen but haven't used it much. I use the keyboard all the time and I find I'm using my phone a lot more for watching YouTube in bed (bad me!) as the Go is a little heavier than the S3. It does come with front and rear cameras. I don't usually use cameras on a tablet so I have no idea of the picture quality of the rear camera. The front camera is used for logging in and it's quick and seamless. I did take several selfies in a range of lighting and backgrounds to improve response.

While I love my new setup, it has naturally resulted in potential electronic waste. Fred is considering taking over my S3. I hesitate to sell it because of the screen but I may yet since the crack doesn't affect viewing or performance. At the moment I'm hoarding the computer. I may pass it on to my dad or see if I can donate it to a local organization for a charitable donation reciept. I might be able to trade it in at BestBuy as well but would prefer to donate.

No comments:

Post a Comment