Saturday 8 June 2019

Bennie is just over 1 year old!

Bennie's personality is totally different than other dogs we've had and it's really blossomed as he gets older. I'm struggling between enjoying the bouncy dogo that lets me brush his teeth and dealing with the thief that gets aggressive so we're going to some personal training.

The main problem is he growls if he get's an object too long (aka becomes his). We recognized with awhile ago and I started interrupting his eating more and hand feeding. He sleeps in a kennel and we make him sit or do something for rewards but I've been really bad at daily training. Still he was showing improvement until we got to my Dad's. They aren't used to keeping doors closed and Bennie is having a field day grabbing slippers and socks. But the other day I was taking a paper towel from him and he turned and snapped at me. That was it, he was in his kennel for a time out.

Since I'm getting help, I want to stop with the barking at other dogs. Milo and Duffy used to do that; Milo stopped once we were walking just us but I think it was because he couldn't really see the other dogs. Bennie starts carrying on from quite a ways away and I can't tell if he's under or over confident when approaching new things.

This timing will work perfectly for us. We'll be home all summer and Bennie's eager to learn. Traditionally I've taken the pup to obedience training. With Bennie we went to a puppy class before Christmas but I missed the structured spring classes. Now we'll both be getting instruction at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment