Friday 19 July 2019

Quick reviews

The hardest part of being retired is I am still a huge consumer. I'm trying to focus more on small items to help stay in budget. If I do spend big - I expect high quality and reliability. Here are my most recent 3 purchased items.

I like my L'Oreal Lash Paradise but kept hearing about this option from Essence so I thought I would give it a shot. It is buildable and gives nice volume and length with a natural feel. It doesn't shed (Lash Paradise does for me). It's long wear but not waterproof so it's easier to remove. I have clump of lashes that seems to shed frequently leaving a noticeable gap. I do curl after putting on mascara (sacrilege I know); this doesn't stick to the curler and holds the curl well. Don't know if it's a replacement as I don't like the brush style as much. It's not as fluffy.

We have the original Google WiFi connected to our cable modem. It's in the basement where most of our stuff is. We were just using an extender but some of our tech wouldn't connect (and I wasn't comfortable with the lack of security). With Fred putting some monitoring out in the greenhouse, it was time to look into mesh. It was a no brainer to get a second Google WiFi and have a mesh network. Set up was easy since it uses the same app. I did have to take it to the basement for the initial connection but now it's in the kitchen. Our access on the main floor is way more solid and easily extends out to the greenhouse.
Rocketbook has a new-ish product but I don't need all the directed scan options so I got an A5 sized notebook with some lined pages and dotted pages. A lot of notes I take get outdated and I can use AdobeScan to save the keeper pages to Dropbox and wipe the rest. The plasticized paper gives very smooth writing but ink takes 10-15 s to dry. I have tried erasable pens before but they don't erase properly on regular paper. We might use it as a white board replacement - we end up drawing a lot to explain ideas.


So a range of items. Of all of them the notebook is a splurge item but I did get a less expensive version. I do write stuff to plan and organize then never need it again so erasable is perfect.

2 comments:

  1. L'Oreal and mascara have always been largely mysteries to me -- even though I grew up in an otherwise all female household. My male feminist activism long caused me to associate cosmetics with sexist double standards, but I have evolved on that to see that they can be positive contributors to women's lives. As for this Rocketbook, this has me intrigued. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always enjoyed cosmetics, they give 'me' time and can indulge creativity. Quality had really changed across all price points and is much lighter. Everyone can benefit from moisturizing and eyeliner 😉

    ReplyDelete