Wednesday 30 December 2020

Footwear - the struggle is real


Shoes (and boots) are so tempting to buy. After all, you don't have to get undressed to try them on, there are soooo many styles and occasions for use. Until we both had well paying, steady jobs (~40yo) I wore cheap shoes (Woolco, Zellers then Walmart). I'm easy on shoes and have no foot problems. I'm still easy on shoes and have no foot problems but my purchasing style has changed. I had a lot to learn before I could really afford to make that change.


Even before I started spending more on casual shoes I made sure to get good quality winter and work boots. That's where I found the value of fit. I didn't realize : 
  • arch support can be in the wrong place
  • my ankles don't like being smashed and some of those back of the heel supports
  • I don't like to wear socks so no scratchy material, especially at the top of the boot
As I upped my shoe budget, I got sucked into buying cute styles on sale before realizing I 
  • don't have anywhere to wear those shoes
  • don't like how they look on my feet so I wouldn't wear them anyway

A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that’d still be keeping his feet dry in ten years’ time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet. - Terry Pratchett

Ever notice how the same styles of high end black shoe is sold year after year? Tap into that...

Know your fit - that is foot width, arch, heel height all that stuff. Know your occasion so you can judge your "cost/wear" $100 on dress shoes worn annually vs $100 on athletic shoes worn daily. Know your brands - even shoes with no heels have a lift that can be uncomfortable. DO NOT BE AFRAID to donate shoes if they don't work out (to that end, I try to buy shoe with removable insoles) or get well cared for previously owned shoes.

Even knowing all that, I've still made bad decisions. My tall winter Sorels? I made sure I could get them on with my restricted ankle flex but they clunk against my ankle so I really can only wear them in deep snow that makes me move slowly. The SANDUK thongs I yearned for trip me every time because the sole extends too far past the big toe but I have other shoes by them that are great. I have shoes that I try on at the right time (late in the day), bring them home then don't like the first time I wear them. Then when I wear them the next time, months later, I love how they fit!?! 

Case in point, these slippers. I bought them online at the end of last winter and they fit too loose on my small foot; insoles didn't help so I thought I would send them back until I found out the shipping and restocking fee. Oh well it's not winter so I'll leave them in a closet. Pulled them out this winter as the "get Bennie in from the back garden" shoes and...I love them so much I wear them all the time in the house and they are great for a quick trip outside. 

Don't get me started on coats🙄🤦🏽‍♀️

No comments:

Post a Comment