Tuesday 27 September 2016

According to WHO ...you don’t have obesity till your body fat actually impairs your health...

According to WHO ...you don’t have obesity till your body fat actually impairs your health...

Dr Sharma is proposing the term healthy adiposity along with supporting the of uncoupling health from BMI. This is important because he is part of a health network that treats obesity.

As we (my family) age, our goal is to not be on medication and to be able to continue activities. I don't want dismissive health care based on what I look like.
http://www.drsharma.ca/there-is-no-healthy-obesity

4 comments:

  1. I wouldn't say it's utter nonsense. Neither does this doctor: he says (either in this or another of his posts) that it's useful for screening.

    He calls it very wrong for diagnosis.

    My meeting wit my doctor went like this. He calculates my BMI, looks at my blood pressure and resting heart rate. He then asks me
    "Do you exercise?".
    "Yes, I bike and such".
    "How much?".
    "4000k this summer (it was a pretty good riding summer)". "And in winter ?"
    "I play hockey twice a week, and run and ski a bit...".
    "Ok."
    "Is something wrong?"
    "Well, you could stand to lose some weight, but you're healthy"

    So I watch what I eat.

    Does any doctor strictly use BMI ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting doctor BTW, Cass Morrison.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine uses waist size which is a much better indicator. People assume if you're not fat looking you're healthy and different problems can be overlooked.

    This seems like a gold standard network. They do a lot of work before bariatric surgery - and not just lose weight to prove you deserve it kind. All types of counseling (psychological, nutritional etc) and reasonable goals sound like part of the clinical experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Yoga is associated with the primary obtainment of complete spiritual unification connecting mind, body and soul with comprehensive yoga session for the complete wellness program that uplifts mental and emotional balance releasing innate source of profound energy." "Chandra Yoga International" create an event on "International yoga day 21st June 2017." facebook.com - International Yoga Day With Chandra Yoga International

    ReplyDelete