Sunday 15 January 2017

The biggest difference I found? It takes longer to run into someone you know in a city.

The biggest difference I found? It takes longer to run into someone you know in a city.

I've grew up outside a big city (Vancouver) and have lived in Calgary and a variety of smaller cities (less than 25k) in Alberta/SK. The biggest adjustment was driving long distances for services and no public transit. If you are friendly with the neighbours, they will be friendly back. In smaller centers I find the difference is whether there's a lot of workers who move in and out of the area. More movement = friendlier people.

What's your experience?


http://www.cbc.ca/radio/the180/what-not-to-love-about-meryl-streep-s-speech-more-on-ptsd-and-violence-and-reform-politics-not-elections-1.3930068/what-small-town-canadians-and-big-city-canadians-don-t-understand-about-each-other-1.3934460?cmp=rss

2 comments:

  1. I've lived in all types, except the super-cities like Vancouver. I find Medicine Hat to be the best combination of traits: Decent public transit, nearly every service is available, it takes 15 minutes to drive across town, lots of people know each other or relatives of people you know, there are enough people that there are strangers, the library is big, there is a good turn-over of visitors to the city, we are far enough away from other centres that we have our own culture ... And on and on.

    But otherwise I think there is a fair bit of misunderstanding between lifetime rural/urban people in Canada. Especially between east and west.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Medicine Hat is a great city. It's our second choice as a retirement location after Vancouver because of cold weather.

    I think hunting is a big one. I have no problem with hunting if you eat what you kill and don't make me go with you. I really wish Canada had an exchange program where you go live in different communities for 6 months so you can see your common ground. As it is it's cheaper to fly to the EU than it is to the east coast.

    ReplyDelete