Sunday 27 August 2017

How to call the elderly?

How to call the elderly?

Gerontologist Dee Wadsworth suggests:

"As a gerontologist I use the phrase ‘older adult.’ Cohort words like Senior and Boomer refer to specific generations. Boomers will never respond to the term senior because that was their parent. I was taught to avoid ageism best to use older adult just like we use younger adult. It refers to the continuum of lifespan development."

Of course, the terminology is not necessarily the main issue, but still it underlies the mass attitudes about aging and aged people.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/robinseatonjefferson/2017/08/24/addressing-how-we-talk-about-aging-never-gets-old-whatever-you-do-dont-say-elderly/#2c6b01921772

5 comments:

  1. Clean my face give me an my body so wekness is evry day am 20 year old why

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoying good health is the most important part of aging and that includes doing activities. We just have to make sure we admit to ourselves when we may not be able to effortlessly keep up with 20 year olds with the same range of activities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The author starts out the article, “Most people don't grow up. Most people age..."

    I read that if you haven't grown up by the time you're 50... you don't have to. Kinda' lets me off the hook...

    ReplyDelete