Wednesday 2 August 2017

Twitter and Facebook show their willingness to overlook harassment.

Twitter and Facebook show their willingness to overlook harassment.

Twitter is the worse. You can't really say anything nuanced in 140 (or so) characters but it's great for insults and garbage behaviour. There is little conversation threading and once crap takes over your screen it's impossible to wade through without reading at least some of the insults. I know block bots for users have been created. Is there no way to run an assistant that would forward personal attack messages to Twitter admin then delete them? I am all for hard conversations with people I disagree with (even on twitter) but really draw the line at "you should (violent act)" or "I hope you (violent act)".

BTW, for all it's changes, that behaviour is why I'm on G+.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/women-politics-canada-1.4231672?cmp=rss

12 comments:

  1. Some people are dicks. How ya wanna make a law against that, eh?

    But let's not for one second pretend that only women politicians, or only women, endure all, or the most, or even the worst of online abuse/trolling/harassment..... Anybody who sticks their head above the parapet can, and will be a target. I'm not justifying it, just stating it as a fact.

    We need to improve online social interaction for everybody.

    Any suggestions how we do that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately those jerks are on G+ too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those "jerks" are everywhere...... That's not news.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Twitter's harassment report is a joke. I'm not on Facebook so I don't know about theirs. Actually doing something about the reports costs money, which automatically puts it on the chopping block for these clowns. Maybe hire a firm to do it and show them ads while they address the reports?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Social media is so abrasive I do my best to stay off it

    ReplyDelete
  6. I included my suggestion in my comment Clinton Hammond​. Have an AI assistant that would scrub personal attacks from your social feed so you wouldn't have to review them yourself. The ultimate in ignoring jerks. On a personal level I try to ask for clarification on their point. I may find something to agree with it I may walk away. I have a low volume social feed and walk away frequently. I'm happy my job doesn't include more social presence.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't trust "ai" to curate my music collection..... I'm sure as Fk not gonna rely on it to curate my feeds

    ReplyDelete
  8. "you should (violent act)... I hope you (violent act)
    Block

    " I'm going to (violent act) you"
    Report. Possibly to local law as well. Then Block.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Duttie Dickey Yet you post to G+, a social media platform... :/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Larry Lyons One look at her profile and you'd see the most recent post being a week old, followed by couple of 2w, and then a 26w. I'd say she avoids the damn thing. Avoid =/= Absolute abstain.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No my phone has not been working properly

    ReplyDelete