Tuesday 23 January 2018

Just eating less is an ineffective strategy. It is a lifestyle change and even then you may only be able to stabilize your weight.

Just eating less is an ineffective strategy. It is a lifestyle change and even then you may only be able to stabilize your weight.

One good thing about the wave of obesity is the amount of research being done that can help combat the lure of food marketing and processing.

vast body of scientific literature that tells us that body weight is a tightly regulated physiological variable and that there are a host of complex neuroendocrine responses that will defend our bodies against long-term weight loss

Prevention of weight gain in the first place is key as it's weight you don't have to lose. Healthy eating habits early on and food access is important. As it being able to cook quick simple meals. Food logging can be handy and I do use it to assess how much I'm snacking. I also weight log because it's easy (WiFi scales FTW) because I think 3 pounds doesn't "stick" right away - here's my magical thinking - so if I can check what I've done to make a change I can prevent that being a permanent gain.

Actually I've found being content with life means I've found a good level of activity which positively affects my eating style.
http://www.drsharma.ca/counting-calories-for-weight-loss-more-of-the-same

4 comments:

  1. In the U.S., 10 corporations control the food supply and they are putting more sugar and carbohydrates, and high fructose corn syrup into foods, all of which cause overeating or obesity. The situation here is getting worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Louisville is the 2nd most overweight city in the United States. So my perspective may be more negative than most.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diets change the size of marketing company's bank accounts. They make them larger, not people's waistlines smaller. The concept of dieting is marketing driven, not nutrition or health driven.

    ReplyDelete