Wednesday 28 February 2018

It makes sense to expire paper notes after a certain time. All you have to do is deposit/exchange them at a bank.

It makes sense to expire paper notes after a certain time. All you have to do is deposit/exchange them at a bank.

What's the largest note you've had? I sold a car for $4500 back in the 80s. The purchaser brought large value bills, I think a couple of $1000s because it was cheaper than a certified cheque. I promptly took it to the bank because who wants to hold onto bills with so much value? Of course now it would be an EFT.
http://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4554758

9 comments:

  1. Hope this idea doesn’t spread across the border. I’d hate to give up all the $10,000 bills bulging my wallet on any given day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bret Maverick would be very upset. He always has a thousand dollar bill pinned to his jacket in case of emergencies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't recall if I have ever seen a thousand dollar bill up close. I regularly see the hundreds. My uncle paid a restaurant bill with €500 bills before. The waiter was shocked and had to check with the manager.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It gets framed as prevention of money laundering or drug dealing, but it goes a lot farther. I don't like it, as it represents a breach of privacy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bills haven't been printed for almost 20 years so they are easier to counterfeit. Trade it at a bank and go crypto if you're concerned about traceability.

    ReplyDelete
  6. But say I don't want a technological requirement. Paper currencies have functioned well for centuries and it's easier to just leverage that, especially if there's a power cut. NZ went all-in on electronic transactions over two decades ago (EFTPOS, which is awesome most of the time) but any time there is a disruption to networks, you should see the hassle it puts on the public and shop owners when they don't have cash handy for an everyday purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are discontinuing the $1000 bill.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate when ya put a $1,000 bill in a soft drink machine and the change takes two hours to get all the way out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brian Arbenz Try 2 days. I had to wait for the operator come and put enough change in the machine. :)

    ReplyDelete