Friday 18 May 2018

Please don't let this be a foreshadowing of retirement life - simple task of cancelling a service turned into a 3 hour ordeal. Oh right - cancelling is never simple.

Please don't let this be a foreshadowing of retirement life - simple task of cancelling a service turned into a 3 hour ordeal. Oh right - cancelling is never simple.

Had a reminder - cancel XM radio. Sounds simple enough - Fred's had a radio for along time but now that we're down to one vehicle we don't need 2 subscriptions. My subscription got merged under his name and on two different payment cycles and dates! WTF! Plus I can't do anything because I'm not the account owner.

This is why people end up broke - hidden re-subscriptions with big cancellation fees.

4 comments:

  1. When you're starting to get the run around from such people, don't waste your time. But you have to plan this, first. If both accounts are on the same credit card, switch one of them to what I call a Dead End Card. You don't want the one you're keeping on the same card as the one you're keeping.

    Once you've got the account switched over, ( that happens pretty much immediately ) call the bank or your credit card firm, tell them not to process any more debits from XM or the troublesome vendor.

    Then cancel over the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan Weese I'm even more brutal, I just call my credit card, tell them the story, and get them to cancel one of them. If they cancel the wrong one, meh ... I take my lumps and move on, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is XM radio but I like the dead end credit card idea but have had expired cards charged for services.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They shouldn't be able to charge an expired card ... that's the point of the expiry date! SiriusXM can be BRUTAL to get rid of. I did it years ago, and I had to fight them off by turning down 6 free months AND a new free radio. (Cancelling because the radio died and I wasn't replacing it.) They just won't take no. But to merge your account and then tell you it's no longer yours ... wow. That's insane.

    Then again, I'm the guy dealing with stupid slow cable internet because so far it isn't worth 6 hours on hold with Shaw to have them do something about it ... that will all begin with "Have you power cycled your modem? How about your router? Have you tried connecting without the router?" Good grief...

    ReplyDelete