Saturday 5 May 2018

So informative. For instance, if you (or your child) has constant nightmares this could be a sign of anxiety; don't brush it aside.

So informative. For instance, if you (or your child) has constant nightmares this could be a sign of anxiety; don't brush it aside.

Sometimes sympathy is not enough. This phrasing really resonated with me At that moment, I realized that I had lived my life in a room that was so loud, all I could do every day was deal with how loud it was. I think I have a better understanding of signs and symptoms. If someone chooses to share, hopefully I can respond in a helpful way.
http://wilwheaton.net/2018/05/my-name-is-wil-wheaton-i-live-with-chronic-depression-and-i-am-not-ashamed/

4 comments:

  1. Goodness, do I identify with this. I’ve had lifelong struggles with anxiety and frequent horrible dreams that accompanied serious mental problems. I’m pleased to report I’m turning some crucial corners at this stage of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had similar experience, but I'm not going to broadcast it to the whole world. I'm still working for a middle-class living, and the announcement would have less-than-pleasant social/business consequences.

    As Wheaton mentions, he's playing on the lowest difficulty setting, with the Celebrity cheats.

    If that speech came from a middle-aged woman, no one would pay attention. Because this degree of grey despair is a Tuesday, and she's just being "emotional, probably on the rag".

    I appreciate the personal effort it took Wil Wheaton to discuss this and the open, honest conversation he invites. But I don't expect it to change things for the less-privileged.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miriam Rozian perhaps not but I hope it helps parents on the bubble about how to help their children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was honestly not familiar with Wil Wheaton. I have not watched TV since 2009 and I don't follow other contemporary pop culture to speak of. So I guess I was able to see through the celeb angle of this. I agree with what Miriam Rozian says, in the generic sense. A second agenda of media brand-building accompanies celebrities speaking out about a problem, and that can make the general population feel less self-reliant in facing the problem. Since I didn't see the celeb in him, to me this was just a person talking. We need more of that, with celebrity promotional concerns left out.

    ReplyDelete