Sunday 20 May 2018

So many options, so much lack of imagination our part. Including not being constricted by work.


So many options, so much lack of imagination our part. Including not being constricted by work.

One thing about planning for retirement is the post retirement vision...other than the "not working" part. How much change do we want?

Duffy has died and Milo is 15 - do we want another dog? That's a 15 year commitment where we would not travel for more than 3 weeks out of country in a row (two weeks ideally). The dogs have been my dogs and I can't imagine not having them. I've put my name down for a pup and we're picking names (boydog call named Benny as a nod to Corben Dallas), not deciding on if.

Do we stay or do we go? We know what our costs are to stay here and it's way less expensive to update the floor and travel from here than it is to move out to the coast. What pulls us to the coast is easily managed as long as you have the time and money (which we will). On the other hand - we have very different tolerances for the weather here. I don't mind the cold of winter, I mind the shoulder months where I expect warmer weather and the snow is here. I want to wear my cute shoes and be outside in the longer evenings. Fred would be happy going away for 6 weeks at a time if we didn't have dogs.

We agree we don't want to downsize. That is not the shared space. Could also go to a 2 car garage. That's a custom home and no way will we find that for what our home would sell for here. We looked and we're not getting an ocean view or even a mountain view for what we can budgeting. Or the interior space. Or access to public transit to negate the need for a second car.

Pros for staying - home that we like with $ to update, home, vehicle and lots of holidays
Pros for moving - not need for as many holidays; cheaper travel (YVR access), no spring allergies.

I know we are lucky to have these choices.

Like I said, lack of imagination.

3 comments:

  1. I wonder if a second dog will help Milo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It might, he really likes going to the kennel and playing with other dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even deciding whether to move has made us cull some stuff with is great.

    ReplyDelete