Monday 16 July 2018

Fascinating 3 part study about breakfast underway. Will it change how I eat? Nope:)

Fascinating 3 part study about breakfast underway. Will it change how I eat? Nope:)

First up my definition of breakfast - first nutritional intake after long period of sleep. Currently this is in the morning and I (mostly) sleep at night. Same for if I'm working evenings but when I worked nights it was in the late afternoon.

When I was a kid we had eggs and toast. When I became a teen, I skipped (weight control you know 😒). As an adult I've settled on a light carb driven meal like whole wheat toast or oatmeal if it's before 9 am and a snack around 9 - 9:30. Now that I'm retired I would like to incorporate more protien in the morning. I have time to prep that since I wasn't about to snack on jerky at coffee time☕ I think we'll be switching from waffles to tofu scambles.

What do you eat for breakfast? Is there a reason in particular?
http://www.weightymatters.ca/2018/07/does-when-you-eat-affect-your-circadian.html

9 comments:

  1. Start with a base mixing and matching diced apple, chopped banana, (some fruit on a good sale), mixed in with peanuts and/or peanut butter. Then, in winter, fill the rest of the bowl with oatmeal porridge. In summer, milk and whatever cold cereal that is as heavy on health and light on sugar as possible but not tasting like ground filler for a gerbil cage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing no cook oatmeal because I can prep ahead, PB for protein. I do not believe there is a way to make cold cereal taste UN cardboard like even with sugar/sweetener.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grant me the appetite to eat what I can, the courage to change what I eat, and the lack of knowledge of the difference, so I’ll really enjoy breakfast. (Call that the Cinnamon And Tea Prayer, a slight modification of the Serenity Prayer!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandpa ate eggs every morning and never had the slightest cardiovascular problem in his 83 years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still shy of 83 years old, but in my lifetime the status of eggs has flipped at least four times on the frying pan of "Eat-Don't Eat".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes because people want magic rules rather than to make informed choices.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And our (U.S. at least) society became plied with sound bites in the ‘70s and ‘80s. We became the most informed people, at the expense of quality of information.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The sound bite/headline/viral tweet syndrome is going even stronger today.

    With eggs, though, I didn't just glom the tone from headlines. I had an MD (after my physical) explain the closest I could come to eggs was hard-boiled whites. And, later, a qualified dietician gave me carte-blanche in eating the entire egg.

    So, without getting my own Dietician degree, it is damned hard to make my own informed choices.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I was diagnosed as diabetic in 2008, doctors, nurses and everybody I knew gave me a different diet plan to fix the problem. I sorted it all out, tossed 95 percent of the info I had received, and went with a combination of what two friends (one a retired nurse, the other the father of a diabetic son) gave me and it worked, like a charm.

    ReplyDelete