Thursday 2 August 2018

I used to think separate entries was a fair solution to integrating low income housing. Upon thought I realize how discriminatory it is. Separate play area was rightly rejected.

I used to think separate entries was a fair solution to integrating low income housing. Upon thought I realize how discriminatory it is. Separate play area was rightly rejected.

Vancouver is the most expensive city in the world to live in. I've certainly noticed that pricing is no lower here than it is at home - an isolated small city in the middle of the Prairies. That means, with the low minimum wage people are likely to be working full time but remain "struggling". Nothing about affordable housing requires grime and unhealthy living other than people's perceptions. I hope the social income tenants make their entry warm and inviting of social gathering to meet their neighbours.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/west-end-social-housing-separate-entrances-1.4768980

3 comments:

  1. The reason for the separate entrances is that perspective buyers of the non-social housing units will likely pay less for those units if there are not any separate entrances. More of those people want segregation by wealth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which is why I used to think it was ok.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wouldn't that be classified as discrimination and therefor face some strong legal challenges? It's pretty distinct and blatant discrimination to me.

    ReplyDelete