Friday 14 September 2018

Music in a common work space could be a problem if tastes are different. I think I would suggest periods of silence to accommodate both office workers.

Music in a common work space could be a problem if tastes are different. I think I would suggest periods of silence to accommodate both office workers.

When I worked in a lab, we always had music on, random pop hits or maybe crossover. No country. As time has gone on I prefer to work in silence if I have to do any thinking at all. At work I think it's important not to wear earphones because it can dull communication and create isolation instead of team work. We moved the radio so it could only be heard in certain areas that weren't in use for all tasks.
https://www.askamanager.org/2018/09/my-coworker-plays-christian-rock-all-day-contacting-strangers-on-linkedin-and-more.html

6 comments:

  1. Good! Earbuds are common these days; there's no reason to force everyone to listen to the same music, or any music at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Earbuds aren't always an option but music is too important not to discuss and get a consensus on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. no country? I thought you're in the heart of country-ville area, hah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not really a subject for debate for me, working in a radio station. There is guaranteed to be music on, and it will be ours. Except the odd song (normally some Drake garbage) comes on that I simply can't stand, so I turn it off. It's that, or leave the office. Really, REALLY can't stand his auto-tuned mumbling BS. It makes me ragey.

    Bring back individual offices! They're PROVEN to be more productive!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Over the ear headphones are my weapon of choice!
    You wanna make sure you don't pick something with leather, pleather, or rubber cushions because they will get gross and sweaty. Mine (Sennheiser HD-595) are velvet and I can comfortably wear them for hours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. “Christian Rock.” Love the nomenclature blend. Since “Rock and Roll” was slang for sexual intercourse.

    ReplyDelete