Friday 14 December 2018

Importing from Google+ using Friends+ Me tool

Friends+ Me has made an easy to use exporter tool that grabs posts and comments so it can be imported to Blogger (and WordPress) It is free to use for up to 3000 posts; after than you can accept truncated data or pay for more. Go to their post on exporting in the G+ migration community for download information.

If you like to be more handsy - download the dropbox files.
Step 1
download all the files from the link
Step 2
click on the exe file to install. If you get a warning, click the small print to run anyway


Step 3
Launch the exporter, it will look for your G+ account. You may have to log in manually by entering your email and password
Step 4
Select the files you want to export and the format you will want for importing. You can export your entire feed or just collections. I know a lot of my stuff is time sensitive. 
Step 5
Open Blogger, Under settings, select other. Import Content will be at the top. Navigate to your saved file and select it. 
Step 6
A window will launch and show it is working to convert files. I left the window open but once the file has been uploaded, I'm pretty sure it's like google check out and all the work is being done on the server. I told it to auto publish and the posts were nicely sorted by dates.

If you were using Friends+Me for sharing posts across social media feeds, it will use the headline as the post title. It also does some tags automatically. I wish I had been better about using the collection name as the hashtag but I don't want to expand my visibility that much....

No comments:

Post a Comment