Tuesday 26 February 2019

Solar Power - Doing our part for climate change

I read an article that says only 30% of Albertans accept the effects of climate change in spite of the flooding, local fires (Ft. Mac) and not so close fires delaying harvest. I am now afraid to use the phrase with neighbours!!
That said, I'm pretty pumped about what we're doing to decrease our footprint. The Carbon Levy was a great motivator (for at least one of us - I was walking to work in summer, collected chores so only one car trip and made sure we had a programmable thermostat to lower my CO2 footprint). We examined our resource use and made some easy lifestyle changes.

One thing we absolutely do is take advantage of the benefits of the Carbon Levy. We switched over the LED when there was a big push and bulbs were subsidized to a loonie or toonie each. In our kitchen alone - 5 100W bulbs were replaced by 5 10W LED that give the same light level. When our washer crashed, we bought an energy efficient replacement that had a rebate. We also took advantage of the Solar Panel rebate and are helping use less fossil fuels for electricity generation.

We've also changed some habits. All our device charging and appliances are preferentially run during sunshine hours (along with using the computer). That way we have stuff in the evening that isn't costing us. We also looked at our always on stuff. As you become more affluent, you get more stuff. Instead of a TV you have TV with a surround sound system and gaming console. The printer was always on just in case we needed it - who even prints stuff? That really cut back our baseline use. We also have a vegan kitchen but that's not for everyone.

There is no ROI on our expenses, just knowing we've lowered our day to day footprint. We continue to use a lot of resources compared to other countries but I feel we've made a good start.

And about those deniers/delayers? At least the current government recognizes the risk of climate change and is taking action. Not only through the carbon levy to change habits but by ensuring communities have emergency response plans and partnerships to reduce the longer term effects of weather events.

4 comments:

  1. I want to do solar, as I've mentioned before. It's tough when the expenditure is so high and I'm raising a family. I've switched to an EV, as you know, and I'm so incredibly glad I did, especially during this cold snap. Your projects are inspiring ... I think you and I have a lot in common, only you're achieving more, LOL!

    You'll be interested to know that my dad and I (and a few others) are working on a grid-level solar/renewable energy project down here in my area, trying to take advantage of the Community Generation grants. It's extremely complicated to navigate the application process, though. Anyhoo ... Our project is targeting 5MW generation with storage possibly exceeding 1MW for our first "pilot" phase. Unfortunately, I'm bound by an NDA, or I'd tell you more! With any luck, we'll have something concrete by this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new project sounds awesome! Medicine Hat is offering some great supplements to the provincial grants. Solar and pot, the Hat is a happening place.

    We're at an advantage for sure because of our family commitments but you got the Tesla. Porsche has just announce the Macan EV for their next vehicle. Possible 2021 so I'm starting to save pennies.

    We just got a 8 x 10 greenhouse and Fred is going to do some geothermal to extend our growing season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, the pot facilitifa are going in essentially next door to the plant where I work. The power demands are significant, and we have documents that hint at a general deficit in local generation. It's definitely a case 9f symbiotic relationships between generation and consumption projects going in.

    I have a wee greenhouse, too. Its 6x8 and tall enough for me to fit, haha. But unless I do something about warming it, it only extends my growing season by a few weeks. I have some sprinkler heads (little mist ones) in there, too, which are connected to my automatic sprinklers. It's fantastic! Now if only I had the space for some geothermal. I do find that just having some thermal mass in there helps moderate temperature fluctuations, though. It's amazing for peppers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fred's made a solar heater collector and he's going use it to put heat into the ground (4'u tubes). I think he's insulating directly under the walls to create pit of warmth. Can you tell it's a project of love?

    ReplyDelete