Thursday 7 March 2019

Tax time ... again

This year I finally took the opportunity to download my tax documents from the CRA into a fresh return and, like Samsung Pay, why I didn't do this sooner. As someone who started doing taxes when you had to look numbers up on a chart (not even calculations!) I have to wonder why anyone with a computer wouldn't use tax software to file on line.

My taxes are pretty simple. I have (or had) a T4 and dividend income from being a Coop member. Offsetting that income is RRSPs and charitable donations. I have a monthly donation to a few groups and top up RRSPs before the end of February. I know I have room because I worked for many years without having a pension plan (other than CPP) or extra cash to put in. It seemed that RRSPs separate from employment and charitable donations don't get imported. I do have a TFSA for investing because then I don't have to worry about capital gains. (I let stuff sit until there is a gain or forever.)

Because I'm in Alberta I don't get the Climate Action Incentive. This incentive is interesting because it's putting money in people's pocket before the tax kicks in April 1. I mentioned before that we took advantage of energy incentives when we got our solar panels and new washer.

The slickest thing about using tax software is that you file on-line and if you have automatic deposit set up your refund appears in the designated account in a couple weeks if you file fairly early. I suspect the government has a draft of your taxes ready for people like me with simple returns.

Check the link to see what's new for the 2019 tax season. Track your filing through MyCRA.

No comments:

Post a Comment