Sunday 1 December 2019

Black Friday - Roku for me; gifts for others

Like everyone (?) shopping Black Friday I take advantage of sales to get some stuff I've been waiting for. I was fiddling with my desk set up and thought it would be nice to have a Chromecast so I could watch Netflix without having to connect the Surface or Note10 to the monitor. Scouting around online I decided it was finally time to get a streaming stick or something to my monitor a streaming screen. Black Friday sales were the perfect opportunity.

First - why not a Roku or something before? We had a Sony 3D TV and the streaming services were horrible. We also had the first-gen Chromecast and it wasn't that awesome either - it got too warm for my liking. I tried setting up Kodi but couldn't really find any channels that interested me. I don't mind being cutting-edge with hardware but software has to really compelling for me to do the work. Now we have an LG OLED Smart TV now with the Chromecast Ultra and it's very slick. I thought about a ChromeCast but it doesn't get rid of the connect from phone or tablet.

I wanted inexpensive so it was between the Roku and FireTV stick. I didn't need anything about 1080p because we have fancy surround sound with 4K TV in the media room. Since the FireStick was out of stock Roku it was🙂. The setup directions were well laid out and using the arrows isn't too painful for entering the WiFi password and logging in to services like Netflix and Amazon Prime. There are a lot of other services available for cord-cutters. I'm in the multiple remotes world with ones for the Roku, cable box and HDMI switch.

What about the other shopping? I actually drove during just before school traffic to go to a sale because stuff was really well priced. The store was busy. Luckily there's an app that says where items are stocked which worked well. I'm also pretty pumped about what I got Fred - which may or may not work out well. Last time I thought I had a cool gift - an outdoor speaker that looked like a rock - I ended up giving it to someone else who had thought it was a cool gift after it didn't come out of the box for 2 years. That was a lesson - for the pricy gifts, get stuff I wouldn't mind using, check reviews and wait for sales.

How has your shopping been so far? Are you being minimalist?

No comments:

Post a Comment