Sunday 8 December 2019

Winter walks with Bennie

Bennie continues to grow up and surprise us with new...things. I think I'm helping him build some bad habits - rats.

Bennie has really embraced the bathroom when we're in it. It's kind of funny. He checks out the shower after we've had a shower and if it's not a shower day he'll sit in a corner. He also sneaks off to fold the bathmat and just sit...

Walks have gotten more interesting as a lot of times I'm just on a mission. Walk and get home - especially if it's windy. I'm still doing treats but not as timely. If you see us walking down a sidewalk with no one in sight he seems very quiet and attentive. In the part where he meets other dogs and people are now wearing coats and stuff - he's much noisier. I am reminded that Milo and Duffy barked at other dogs their entire lives if they were not walking with them. They also did a lot of team "not playing" if they didn't know the other dogs. I thought it was because I was tense on the leash but I don't hold Bennie's leash - he's tethered to my waist.

On the good side - Bennie has made a friend. We met a yellow lab, Arlo, a couple weeks ago and Bennie and her play really well together. I can let drag his leash and they have a good time chasing and pawing at each other. I've found if Bennie's going to listen to me I can speak very quietly; if he isn't - no volume with overcome that lack of attention. I'm sure it seems strange to people that I'm testing for attention with a quiet voice while he barks loudly as we pass. Most of the time as soon as we're by, he snaps back. I have to hope this will continue to improve - he used to do a lot of looking back.

What's that bad habit? A lot of times he barks and pulls up to people - actually I think he can tell if they are receptive to him because he doesn't do that to everyone. When we get there he'll get patted by the person or get to meet the dog in question if they are friendly. This is definitely something I'll be working on when I'm not bundled up against the weather. Wearing gloves or mitts makes training much more difficult.




No comments:

Post a Comment