Saturday 8 August 2020

Today is Ice Cream making day!

 I had asked for the ice cream making attachment for my KitchenAid a couple years ago. In true lazy fashion, I only got the bowl in the freezer this year and am finally going to make a 3 ingredient vegan recipe! I say 3 ingredient but I infused a can of coconut milk with a cardamon pod and bit of vanilla pod I had hanging around a drawer. Can't hurt right?

 

One reason I didn't make ice cream in the past is because I actually read the assembly instructions instead of looking it up on YouTube. The instructions talk about having a spring loaded shaft or not - okay so far. The piece has one longer side AND different sized holes depending on whether there's a spring or not. The PICTURE doesn't show the hole for the shaft to go through and shows the two sides as being equal length.

Yes this was confusing enough for me to abandon the project. I can buy ice cream. Fred said I could have asked and I replied - sure if I want to feel like a dunce for not understanding simple directions. If it can slide on and stay, it's on correctly - sigh.

Once the coconut milk cooled completely, I added the sweetened condensed coconut milk (this is as awesome as the dairy version) and frozen Saskatoon berries from our garden and blitzed in the food processor before assembling the dasher and bowl on the KitchenAid. 10 minutes later ICE CREAM!!! I did put it in the freezer to harden a bit.
 
Some room for improvement. Take stems off berries before freezing - it's just too authentic😁 Because we used two types of coconut milk, there was a heavy coconut flavour. Next time we'll use oat milk with the condensed milk. Otherwise the texture is really good. We used to have a small ice cream freezer and it wasn't nearly as good as this one. This freezing bowl is much more insulated - even after washing it was still cold. With the smaller cheaper machine we pretty well had to put it outside at -10 C for it to freeze for 45 minutes. 

*I am embarrassed to a admit we haven't been using the food processor to it's full potential. I haven't been smashing frozen berries and had been making humus and falafels by grinding chickpeas through the KitchenAid instead of blitzing. Also tormenting myself with chopping onions instead of blitzing in the mini KitchenAid.

2 comments: