Monday 21 September 2020

Winter is coming...

 

Summer is winding down. It was very late in arriving (max solar credits in AUGUST!) but at least isn't early in leaving. We've had some time to adjust to pandemic rules but it will be an adjustment as winter activities kick in.

From the time COVID-19 was recognized as a respiratory disease I realized I would have to get used to wearing a mask because anything is better than nothing. Indeed, as the disease has spread more information has collected, masks have been shown to be effective in reducing viral load is you are exposed to SARS-COV-2. I care because it seems that people that get sick enough to be hospitalized have a much longer recovery than realized and may confer immunity through asymptomatic illness. So, I've been practicing wearing a mask, know which stores have hand sanitizer stations and which have workers who wear masks (I'm really surprised at Shopper's Drug Mart with their non-requirement). I no longer dash in and out of stores and can keep my hands away from my face.

One big change will be international travel - that is no travel. We visited all the parents in August as that seemed to be the optimum time with low cases and lots of outdoor visiting. We usually do a winter holiday but we're not expecting to be able to do that until at least November 2021 if then. That's something we look forward to as snow can last until late April here, Hopefully, tanning will be available. The bone-deep warmth is welcome as is the hit of Vitamin D.

Another will be keeping active. I usually go to classes 3 times a week. The group was doing Zoom classes in the spring but getting together in the park made me realize just how different things are in person. I'll be back to working out in the basement with a mix of YouTube, Zoom, and on-demand. I got weights over the summer and for winter bought a Bender Ball to help focus on core work. As tempting as an exercise bike is to do spin classes as home, I know I'd bail on that quickly - I have a hard enough time actually going to a class😁 


I'll be very surprised if there were a shut down initiated at the Federal level. The resources are there for testing, tracing and they are transitioning from CERB to a better EI system. How provinces handle the winter will be up to the Provincial Health Ministers and Premiers (and municipal councils) and much better as outbreaks become (hopefully) localized.

No comments:

Post a Comment