Sunday 27 March 2022

New Tech is in the house...Hybrid Cayenne

 

It's been an exciting week - Saturday we picked up the Cayenne, Monday my S22 Ultra arrived and Friday we got the charger installed. Phew - let's do the small stuff first.

That would be the phone. I like it, the screen is less curved at the edges than my Note 10 but it is bigger and heavier. transferring over data was no big deal with SmartSwitch - all the programs and their data was moved over and other than logging into apps, it was pretty seamless. I love the feel of the new S-Pen and it really is like just writing as it's so responsive. I have 2 cases, the Navy silicon Samsung one and a clear Spigen case that provides a little more drop protection with a Simjimoro phone grip. I'm looking forward to warmer weather for more picture taking and Bennie shorts.

But what about the Porsche. 

The plan was to get a hybrid and use EV around town and hybrid on the road. We wanted a charger for convenience and in case the city started restricting the number of home chargers in residential areas. We opted for the Cayenne as it would be big enough to hold the kayaks because we'll eventually get rid of the F150. We contacted our sales rep in August, got a call in November for a January build and here it is! Very dark blue, a little darker than the Macan, with a grey interior. We got an hour orientation when we picked up the car (yes I will call it that) and got me set up as the primary user. I forgot a lot of it but I think it's mostly to let you know what the PCM is capable of. It's very nice. Voice activation/control is great and I can use it to change settings, trigger nav, and all that stuff. Nav is off Google Maps which is great. I haven't tried asking general questions I did try the different interior light colours. I've settled on blue for now but may put it back on matching the music. Disco memor...wait it's not a glitter ball just the interior lights. If I don't check them out soon I'll have to wait until fall as there isn't a lot of night driving here after mid-April.

Early in the week we set up the secondary user and Car Play attached. Got the secondary key linked to the secondary account which is pretty cool. The account includes PCM settings, seats, and all things car. We can both log onto the mobile hotspot (why when we have data?) The iPhone could go on the internet, the S22U could not. It may be because I have WiFi encryption program running or Porsche just really hates Android (Android Auto has to connect by cable) and Samsung hasn't convinced ($$$) them otherwise yet. I have used Android Auto and I actually like Porsche Connect better mostly because I'd rather push a button than say a phrase.

I did have to drive around before the charger was installed. I didn't manage the drive home well so we were pretty well flat for the EV battery and mileage was scary bad typical for a larger SUV. Then we got the charger installed and the recharging process was short (2 hours) but ๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜ฎ for our electricity bill even with sunny days and pretty good solar. Luckily Porsche provides really good documentation so we could adjust the amp draw on the charger. We have a small battery (19kWh) and really don't need to charge it quickly. We set it up for a 5-hour charge time which is more than fast enough for daily use.

So how is it? The onboarding process at the dealership was ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐ŸผThey're great and why I purchased a Porsche when it was time for a change. I've had the Cayenne as a loaner so the driving experience isn't new. It's much like the Macan but quieter. It doesn't feel any larger to drive. Bennie hasn't warmed up to it yet but we don't drive him a lot of places. We can EV around town even in colder weather when the battery capacity is reduced so that's hitting expectations and as we EV around town our mileage will improve. Not sure how we're going to run in deepest of winter. The days are short and there isn't much solar production so we'll probably just use the hybrid.

So that's it for first impressions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment