Tuesday 9 July 2024

TIL - that chest tightness and shortness of breath isn't allergies!

This is exciting.~ I've had a health-tracking watch for ages. Mostly I ignore unusual results because they usually return to normal. Lately, I've noticed my resting heart rate has increased a little into the low 70s. I'm aging and working out less intensely so maybe that's why. I've also had some chest tightness so I was using my inhaler since it's been a really long allergy season. It hasn't been working well but it does eventually work. Also, I've been fiddling with the ECG feature on my watch and sometimes it gives an abnormal result. Oh well, it's a watch so the accuracy could be off. Again, things return to normal. 


This time I went to calibrate the blood pressure sensor on my watch and whoa - first time ever I've had a warning light. And not on the traditional systolic number but the diastolic one that generally stays stable. I took a picture of the reading and called my doctor's clinic. I actually managed to get one of the emergency appointments for the next day. Then, after 4 days of shenanigans, my BP returned to normal in time for the appointment🙄.


Of course, at the doctor's office, my BP was normal. We chatted a bit then I showed him pictures of my BP reading from the previous day. Well, that changed everything. Lie down for an abdominal exam and there are questions about aneurysms in the family as my aorta feels big. My lungs are clear but my heart sounds a bit swishy. Oh yes, my last ECG was not normal. So now I'm off for more bloodwork to see if anything has changed since October, and an abdominal ultrasound and cardiogram. 


Even with all the monitoring tech, when you have a reasonably healthy lifestyle, it's easy to ignore warning signs when you feel well. I don't have chest pain (my dad found out he needed a quad bypass during a medical and had no chest pain). I don't have increased shortness of breath when exercising. I'm lucky Fred wants me to check this stuff out for his peace of mind.


I hope this is nothing or easily resolved with surgery. TAVI for the valve and some kind of vascular support if a vessel wall weakness is discovered.🤞🏼

No comments:

Post a Comment