Saturday 2 April 2016

I remember I started reading fahrenheit 451 but found it too boring (I was young). I should steal a copy from somewhere and read it.

I remember I started reading fahrenheit 451 but found it too boring (I was young). I should steal a copy from somewhere and read it.

"You must understand that our civilization is so vast that we can’t have our minorities upset and stirred. Ask yourself, What do we want in this country above all? People want to be happy, isn’t that right?…Colored people don’t likeLittle Black Sambo. Burn it. White people don’t feel good about Uncle Tom’s Cabin. Burn it. Someone’s written a book on tobacco and cancer of the lungs? The cigarette people are weeping? Burn the book. Serenity, Montag. Peace, Montag. Take your fight outside. Better yet, to the incinerator."

h/t Pam Adger 
http://thoughtcatalog.com/ryan-holiday/2015/11/the-real-reason-we-need-to-stop-trying-to-protect-everyones-feelings/

2 comments:

  1. I think an under-acknowledged reason conservatives reject empathy is because they feel no one empathized with them back when they needed it. It's a kind of payback to past emotional pain. "Nobody protected my feelings when I was young, and look at me now.."

    ReplyDelete