Saturday 21 May 2016

Have there been studies looking at crime rates and parenting styles?

Have there been studies looking at crime rates and parenting styles?

I read a lot about how crime rates have lowered since the 50s and people point to removing lead from the environment as one of the agents of change. What if it's because of parenting changes? Perhaps parents are not turning to authoritarian compliance because, with smaller family sizes and later child bearing, they can model better behaviour.

While the author (mildly) disparages operant training, isn't all socializing operative training? From having dogs I know I would have been a different parent in my 30s than in my 20s. I do use it on my dogs - reward good behaviour, ignore bad behaviour (unless it's violent) and be consistent. Of course with humans you can eventually communicate more effectively than with a clicker:)

My parents were not explainers; they set rules and consequences. For the most part I follow rules and I think it's because that's what they modeled. Most likely would have followed more "rules" with less heartache had I understood more.

#TeamHumanity
http://revolutionaryparent.com/child-abuse-viral/

1 comment:

  1. "Yoga is associated with the primary obtainment of complete spiritual unification connecting mind, body and soul with comprehensive yoga session for the complete wellness program that uplifts mental and emotional balance releasing innate source of profound energy." "Chandra Yoga International" create an event on "International yoga day 21st June 2017." facebook.com - International Yoga Day With Chandra Yoga International

    ReplyDelete