Thursday 9 August 2018

Twitter is a good way to point to government policy statements, provide a consistent voice and get citizen input.

Twitter is a good way to point to government policy statements, provide a consistent voice and get citizen input.

I can't count how many times Fred has asked how I know something and I've found out from...Government Accounts links on Twitter. I get that it's hard to do diplomacy in soundbites but the language Canadian government accounts uses is very conciliatory and rarely phrased as an absolute. Plus, other governments have the option of not responding to tweets.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/saudi-arabia-tweet-sanctions-canada-twitter-1.4777825

2 comments:

  1. I wish you could take me by the hand and explain Twitter. The basic principle is comprehensible, but the reality is simply beyond sanity. Every time I pull up my pants, roll up my sleeves and enter into the twit-verse, it's like walking into a public pool where dozens of caffeinated 8-year olds are having a birthday party and are all screaming LOOK AT ME! How anyone sifts useable information or has a "conversation" is a dark mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a very small pool - less than 200 people after 9 years on the platform. I follow local news, local MLA, the PMO, Alberta government stuff. Other than that, mostly authors, couple entertainers and a few activists that point to interesting articles or experiences. I mostly post articles with a concise comment on what I got out of it in a somewhat neutral way. I use threadreaderapp.com to make long threads more readable but a lot of twitter, to me, is like don't read the comments. Mostly I look for a rounded expression - I understand it's curated.
    threadreaderapp.com - Discover and Read the Best of Twitter Threads

    ReplyDelete