Thursday 24 January 2019

Retirement - boy we talk a lot

One thing I've found about retirement is we talk a lot about stuff. All kinds of stuff for as long as we want because we have a much looser schedule and can find out what the other person means. Many times DH comes into a topic a little later than me and he asks my thoughts as he reads about it. Topics range from MAGA hat vs Indigenous Leader (parenting fail), to the new Canada Food Guide (overall good idea), to carbon tax (should be called a user fee).

Today's topics were the dedicated sexual assault court in Quebec and city water fluoridation.

The Court discussion was short and we pretty well agreed (before reading the article) that court workers from judges to lawyers to clerks need more mentoring and specific training to overcome biases. To me my thoughts are more nuanced.  Consent has been law for well over a decade but some judges still ask really dumb questions like - why didn't you close your legs. I would ask, every time you refuse a drink, do you have to hit it out of the hand of the person offering? But in the end, how much does that matter.

The fluoridation discussion was more interesting because we didn't really know the fundamental integrity of teeth. I pointed out our parents had much worse teeth than we did (all of them have at least some false teeth). DH thinks with proper diet there would be less cavities, I thought teeth would naturally wear down (which now that I think about it is irrelevant). We agree keeping teeth in mouths without fillings is important and since we can't rely on food selection and proper brushing, something simple like fluoride supplementation is a public good. I actually agree with the counsel member quoted in the article. This should be a science based public health policy rather than something left up to communities.

I'm glad our talking has sort of settled. For awhile I felt DH talked excessively but now I'm better used to it.

#Retirement, #CurrentEvents

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I enjoyed this post. I feel as though I was there for the conversation. Dare I say, I enjoyed the conversation. It was filled with meaning. And on real issues. Not just musing, but not overly intense ranting either. Good productive flow. I hope a retirement of my own can be just like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part of our morning routine is to read "ask a manager" questions and think about how we would resolve it before reading her take. The thing I find most interesting is he assumes the LW is male and I assume they're female. Some of the workplaces really are special.

    ReplyDelete