Sunday 20 January 2019

There is no silver bullet when it comes to weight

What have you noticed after losing weight that no one mentions? I am cold unless I am being active or in direct sun at 25C. Even when I was menopausal I wasn't hot all the time (just inconvenient waves).

I remember the day I saw a recent picture of Russell Holly and thought I must have misremembered what he looked like. Nope - he has a story and I think it's quite compelling. It does have all the elements of how people gain weight without realizing just how much, how they adjust their self image and how/what/why they change.

I'm always surprised by how much medication can affect weight. I had a sister-in-law that I met after she had gone on lupus medication. Apparently before medication she was slender and fine bones. She struggled when she saw what looked to her like a fat puffy face in the mirror. A friend's spouse went on antidepressants and ballooned in weight. The next time we saw them we mentioned they looked different and they said they'd been working on losing weight. We didn't way we remembered them as being skinny.

How does this relate to Holly's story? He had his epiphany on his own; any faux concern about his health didn't play into his decision. He mentioned there are things people don't say about losing weight and being cold was one of them.

I should mention an annoying element about gaining weight - it never goes on the same so even if you keep larger sizes, they don't fit right anymore...except maybe yoga pants.


No comments:

Post a Comment