Saturday 12 January 2019

Retirement - tech edition

I had said before I was refraining from purchasing at the moment so it's time for more fiddling. I really want to hold off since sales are pretty well over and there could be some really interesting things coming in the next year if CES is to be believed.



I decided to give Samsung Pay another try. In the past it's either balked at verifying the card or just not worked after the first go. This time it verified the card then ... worked after I restarted my phone. Yay. Next up Pay on the watch. I did have to phone in to verify but that too has been set up. Good thing there's a $100 limit

To push the envelope I decided to reset my computer. I copied stuff to an external drive and hit the reset button. I have Office Pro Plus. I did find my installation email and all my product keys so I'm hopeful I won't have to make a call to MS to get it back. Office is the only reason I have a desktop. I use a bunch of features that just aren't available in the mobile/web version. Since my computer is really driving me crazy, (WFT is it doing in the background?) I see no reason NOT to do a reset. It will remove all the proprietary Samsung stuff that I wasn't using anyway, I can reinstall SideSync if I get the urge. Other than Office, I'll install my printer and external drive utilities and dropbox. It has a TV tuner built in but I can only use a cable box if I want to watch TV so all that stuff can be scrapped.

Meanwhile wood is being hate cut in the garage. 45 degree angles are hard. Sitting an waiting for computers is easy in comparison.

No comments:

Post a Comment