Wednesday 4 September 2019

New Retirement Gig

I always wanted to contribute by volunteering after retirement but I feel the nature of work has changed and, more than ever, I want to make sure I'm not filling a position that should be paid. So I signed up with BookSirens to review indy authors and small publishers and complete free reviews that can be pushed to Goodreads and  Amazon. It's possible I would post here and link to Twitter.

I did this because I love to read. One of my earliest memories is going to the Vancouver Library brand at McDonald St and I've made sure to have a library card in every community I've lived in since then. Reading is an escape and every story has expanded my horizons.

According to BookSirens I am a lenient reviewer and there's a couple reasons for that. I read stories when I'm in the mood for that theme. That means a story has to suck me in from the first page. I may give a chapter or so but I have no problem abandoning a book if it's not for me. The other is I do try to be kind. Someone has crafted a story. As long has it's coherent and engaging enough to finish, I'll give it a 3. Many times I'm blown away by the skill of the writer and their team (editor, etc). At the moment, I'm still digesting To Be Taught If Fortunate by Becky Chambers. To present 4 distinct worlds in a novella and make a space crew four disparate yet consistent characters. Wow.

Anyway, I'm off to read😁



No comments:

Post a Comment