Sunday 15 September 2019

Random retirement stuff

Today was gorgeous. Warm and sunny with a light breeze to speed the drying out of fields that farmers desperately need. Crops are a good couple weeks behind (heck even our apples are) so things could get dicey in Ag.

In spite of  being well funded for retirement we do talk about whether we're paying for something we're not using. Today it was cable TV. I know a lot of people have cut the cable but I still watch TV. The bundles are really annoying but the cheapest way to go. We almost upgraded our hardware but the channels proposed were not the channels we wanted so...no. We also have CraveTV, Netflix and Prime🙄 Since we can't agree to do without them they're staying but I will be taking over Prime so I can get the books part. I canceled my Spotify; I like the service but I'm ok with ads and shuffle. Madison is keeping me on SiriusXM.

Next we spent quite a long time chasing a 100W power leak. Our baseline consumption is quite high. We thought it was the fridge but finally did the breaker thing to try to pinpoint it. Surprise - it was in the garage. Apparently the battery charger for the electric yard stuff keeps cycling. We agreed it can be unplugged most of the time especially since we're at the end of the season. We can always plug in to charge in the morning yard work is planned. Did really well with solar in spite of missing 2 panels. One has a defect and the other needs a cable extension. We switched away from our 18.75¢/kWh plan to the 6.5¢/kWh plan for the winter. With the shorter days there is no use getting premium price on solar exported to grid. We're on track to produce the 5200 kWh the system was sized to produce even with the cloudy summer. 

Took Bennie on a lovely walk. He met a bulldog named Daisy. First he barked ferociously but I asked if she was friendly and closely monitored the interaction - she was very docile. I offered her a treat then gave Bennie a treat from the same slobbered on hand. Then he quietly sat a little ways away from her and looked at me. Lots of treats for being a good pup. He also encountered some reclining bikes, scooters, strollers dog walkers and a guy teaching a young girl to fish. Rods are scary so I headed over so he could see them too. He also did some deep wading. Bennie's socializing is coming along. Yesterday was Fall Fest. I had planned to take Bennie last year as part of his socialization but it was canceled due to cold and snow. Better late than never I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment