Saturday 21 November 2020

iPhone Mini first impressions

I unexpectedly upgraded my phone when I dropped and smashed the screen. Against my better judgment, Fred repaired the screen with the intention of getting used to Android and, maybe, using it until a phone he liked came out. As luck would have it, the iPhone 12mini came out as his iPhone SE became totally unusable - the SE2020 had no appeal. After a failed attempt to move the SIM from his old iPhone to the S8, he ordered the mini from the Apple Store.

It's a very nice phone, GREAT size and I can see the appeal of face unlock. It was quick and easy to transfer everything from his old phone. While he loves the size, he's not that fond of the glass back and it's an opinion we share. My favourite phone was the Galaxy Nexus because you could through that phone down the stairs and it would be unscathed. Glass backs are slippery and made worse by increasing phone size. Ergonomics can only do so much.

It's good to see smaller phones with decent specs being made. I was concerned about replacing the S8 and the Note 10 is smaller than anything new from Samsung. I suppose I could lose a ton of features (I use) and fall back to a Pixel but I hope that's not a concern for a few years. Phones just keep getting bigger and I hate the glass back. IF I had to migrate to an iPhone, at least I could get widgets.

In the meantime, the new phone is a hit. All the stuff from the S8 (MarioKart😁) was moved over so he's only using one phone now. All he has to do is set up a home screen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment