Friday 30 June 2017

It will be interesting to see how this generation ages

It will be interesting to see how this generation ages

One reason we are pulling the pin sooner than later is because I've seen many people either lose their health in that extra 5 years of work or be distracted because of elder care. The time has come to admit culturally that there are ways to contribute to society that precludes full time employment. I had a friend retire to provide child care for grandchildren. There is value in providing volunteer services or working for non-profits that cannot afford to compensate at corporate rates. I'm still a big fan of retiring earlier to provide an opportunity for younger workers so I've worked towards that goal. I am privileged to have that choice.
http://www.moneysense.ca/save/retirement/retirement-planning-delay/

8 comments:

  1. I plan on keeping active by continuing to manage people in construction. I want to be the change the system needs. More respect for individual needs, life balance and safety. All I need is to keep going up the management levels and I can have more and more effect on the system.
    That being said, I plan on being at work only half the year. Starting in 4 years I'm going to scale back to work on my pet projects at home ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan to retire as soon as I can, and my finances aren't going to be the primary gateway - as in, I don't care if we need to scale back a whole lot on expenditures, I'm hell-bent on Life As A Cat sooner than later. Sure, I really want to do some expensive things (travel, buy loot I don't really need, go out on dates with the woman), but you know, working is expensive, too. It's amazing how much we spend on various things in order to stay employed full-time.

    But this gets back to the way I look at things philosophically. There are 3 things a person needs in order to achieve their goals in life: money, energy, and time.

    Money: If you run out, there are ways to get more, or there are ways to achieve your goals using less of it.

    Energy: This also includes health. For many scenarios, if you run out of energy, there are ways to get more, or do things in ways that require less energy. Most (not all) health issues can be worked around one way or another, too.

    Time: You can't get it back. Once you've blown it on something you don't enjoy doing, that's it.

    And I'll be honest, while I like certain aspects of my job, I don't like the grind. I don't like having to be a self-starter, I don't like having to follow a schedule, I don't like getting up earlier than 10am (LOL), and I don't like going to sleep before 10pm.

    The sooner I can retire, the happier I'll be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like I have infinite options because I won't have to worry about money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Yoga does not just change the way we see things, it transforms the person who sees." 200-Hour Yoga Teacher Training Course which is going to start from “12 Aug to 08 Sep 2017” in Rishikesh, India. Visit our website for more details. yogattcglobal.com - Join Certified 200- hour Yoga Teacher Training Course (YTTC) in Rishikesh, India

    ReplyDelete